Swansea University - Year in Industry
The College of Engineering at Swansea University runs a Year in Industry placement scheme. It is a valued scheme for our students who get a chance to be trained as better engineers. It is also a chance for companies to recruit, for a year, staff who will bring a new perspective to a project or workplace. It can be a great opportunity for talent spotting.
What is a Year in Industry?
Many of our students at Swansea University choose to spend a Year in Industry as part of their degree, which can have huge benefits for the company involved and the student working within the company. As part of your undergraduate course, a Year in Industry can provide a great enhancement to your degree and future career. Through the Year in Industry scheme, you will:
- Increase your confidence in a work environment
- Develop your network of contacts in the industry
- Improve your planning capability
- Enhance your prospect of employment on graduation with evidence of work experience
- Earn a wage with a year out from University (average salary of £16k during the placement year)
- Increase awareness of the importance of real world priorities and deadlines
- Put your reporting and presentation skills into action
- Increase your competence level towards Professional Status
- Have the opportunity to improve both technical and non-technical skills through company training
- Improve your awareness of business criteria in general
A Year in Industry can be taken as part of a BEng or MEng degree programme.